A Chiropractor’s Approach to Treating Headaches 

| Premier Injury Clinic of DFW

A Chiropractor’s Approach to Treating Headaches | Premier Injury Clinics of DFW

15 percent of all American adults have severe headaches

Headaches are among the most common disorders of the nervous system throughout the world. Chances are you’ve had a headache at one point during your lifetime. For many people, headaches and migraines are a daily battle that can wreak havoc on their lives.

The good news? There are numerous effective treatments for headaches, including chiropractic care.

To help you better understand the benefits of chiropractic care when it comes to alleviating headache symptoms, we thought we would first start by looking at some of the most interesting facts about headaches. We will also explore common headache triggers and answer some of your burning questions about how a chiropractor’s approach to treating headaches.

Facts About Headaches 

According to surveys, more than 15 percent of all American adults have severe headaches or migraines on a regular basis. Women are twice as likely to suffer from headaches than men, and the prevalence of headaches is much higher in the younger population than for those over the age of 65.

An estimated 5 percent of all headaches are connected to physical problems, while the other 95 percent are considered ‘primary headaches’, such as the following:

  • Cluster headache
  • Migraine
  • Migraine with aura
  • Tension headache

Please note that a migraine is different from headaches because they often come with other symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting, and can last anywhere from four to 72 hours.

The World Health Organization estimates that nearly half of the adult population has experienced a headache in the last year. If you are someone who suffers from headaches or migraines, you understand just how debilitating they can be. While headache disorders have largely been underestimated and under-recognized as a global health issue, we understand what you are going through.

Headache Triggers 

Before we look at the role of a chiropractor in treating headaches, let’s touch on some of the most common headache triggers. For headache sufferers, pinpointing what triggers these episodes is key to living a pain-free life. Primary headaches are often caused by the following triggers:

  • Alcohol
  • Stress
  • Poor posture
  • Processed foods
  • Dairy
  • Skipping meals
  • Dehydration
  • Dental problems
  • Noise or lights
  • Insomnia
  • Too much exercise
  • Changes in blood sugar

Can chiropractor get rid of headaches? 

In recent years, many people are turning to chiropractors to help treat headache symptoms. Chiropractors have many different techniques and tools to treat these common conditions, including spinal manipulation. Chiropractic adjustments may be used to improve spinal function and get rid of any unnecessary stress being placed on your body and nervous system, which is a leading trigger of headaches.

Myofascial release techniques may also be of benefit, as they work to break down muscular tension and trigger points. The type of chiropractic care you will need will depend on a host of factors, including your history of headaches and what the root cause is.

Do headaches ever go away? 

Yes! While it may seem like your headache is here to stay, the good news is that yes, they will go away. Eventually. This is where chiropractic care comes in. We encourage you to contact Premier Injury Clinics of DFW today to schedule an appointment and discuss your headache symptoms with one of our experienced chiropractors. 

Can a chiropractor cause headaches?  

There are many myths out there regarding chiropractic care and adjustments, including the thought that a chiropractor can actually cause headaches. Truth be told, chiropractors are highly trained to apply controlled adjustments to the spine. This process often releases toxins that have built up in the body, which can cause a slight headache as these toxins are released. However, these headaches are short-lived and will go away.

If you are unsure what to expect during a chiropractic adjustment or would like to learn more about our approach to treating headaches, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Leave a Comment